Hi folks. The site is approaching completion! The Pictorials page isn't up yet but the rest are up and running. I'll try to get the Pictorials up sometime soon. Thanks for your patience and please do check back again!
Best To All --Alan
- Fighting Fires
- Have you ever wondered just what a fire fighter endures to become certified? I'd never make a fire fighter. The training would kill me.
- Someone Special
- True story about the day I was led across Pittsburg, PA by a blind lady.
- My Way, Dammit
- America has become politically and ideologically polarized to a degree I never thought I'd see. We've reached a point where the old "Us versus Them" attitude between the political left and right is nearing open warfare. It's high time we learn to pull together again.
- Do Increases to the Minimum Wage Affect Unemployment?
- Democrats and Republicans often debate the merits of increasing the federal minimum wage. Who's right? Who's wrong?
- Crime by the Numbers
- Given the racial tensions and crime rates in the US right now, I've been digging through some FBI and UN resources and compiled a decent summary of crime data as to how it relates to race, and tossed in a global list of crime rates for good measure. I hope you find it informative and useful.
- That Damn Square Puzzle
- That mildly annoying "How many squares?" puzzle is again making the rounds on Facebook. There aren't 22 or 36 or 32. There are FORTY squares. I have painstakingly marked them and posted it so we can end the debate.
- Freedom of (and from) Religion in America
- A discussion of the swirling debate regarding church-state separation, gay rights, etc
- Tilting At Windmills
- A brief rant about the prevalence of conspiracy theories in the US
- State By State Rankings Study #1 2014
- Sortable table representing various social and economic rankings by state. Fields include: Infant mortality rate, poverty rate, property crime rate, violent crime rate and DUI fatality rate.
In The News:
- Weather.com: Tornadoes Strike Texas, Oklahoma
- Damaging storms swept across Texas and Oklahoma Tuesday, spawning more than two dozen reported tornadoes in the two states. Flash flooding also disrupted road travel in parts of the region.
- Weather.com: 8 Jaw-Dropping Images from the Houston Flood Nightmare
- Flooding is a threat people often ignore until it's too late. But after seeing these eight photos from the nightmare in Houston, we think you'll understand why you need to be so cautious.
- High Times: Judge Married to Drug Dealer Sends SWAT Team After Innocent Man
- Some of the highest hypocrisy within the American Drug War is often caught oozing from those same officials charged with enforcing its injustice. Eventually, however, someone comes along and exposes these two-faced henchmen for the gutter swine that they are, and drags the supposed integrity of the Controlled Substances Act further into the sewers of uncivil society.
- Fox News: Police dog saves partner's life after ambush attack in Mississippi woods
- A police dog is being hailed a hero after the K9 saved the life of a Mississippi sheriff's deputy, ripping into the men authorities say dragged the officer into the woods Monday in an ambush attack.
- Fox News: WWII wreck gives up millions in silver
- The deepest salvage operation in history has recovered a haul of coins that Britain planned to use to fund the fight against Nazi Germany 73 years ago.
- NORML: Study: Cannabis Use Inversely Associated With Diabetes
- "Recently active cannabis smoking and diabetes mellitus are inversely associated," they determined. Authors estimated that subjects with a history of cannabis use were about 30 percent less likely to have diabetes compared to non-using subjects.
Internet Explorer Users Please Note: The "Big Rebuild" is being done exclusively with the new HTML 5 standard. Older browsers, expecially older versions of Internet Explorer will not play well with HTML 5. I'm testing the site with Firefox (my browser of choice), Google Chrome and Safari. I generally do not test with IE. If you are using an older browser I strongly suggest you update. Your browsing experience, not just here but all over the web will be vastly improved.
Copyright 2000-2015 By Alan Burkhart - All Rights Reserved